Sunday, March 3, 2013

OCCUPY NEPAL

from Erika Alvarez

On my recent trip to Asia I had the opportunity to witness first hand a protest in the streets of Kathmandu on February 14th. At that moment I was in a taxi and it was diverted to other roads because the Occupiers were marching. My heart jumped but I was unable to have the driver to turn towards the protest, but I saw the people with Nepalese flags. Later, I read in the paper that the protest was focused in women rights. Talking to the driver in half English, I learned that they still practice arranged marriages, 50% of the time, but if you marry without your parents consent you are banned from seeing the family ever again. The father of the groom has to provide money or goods worth about $2,000 in rupees. Curious.
   Click here to learn more about the VAW protest.


No comments:

Post a Comment